BuckeyeAngel

BuckeyeAngel

Good Story and Good Characters

Keeper - Kim Chance

The Dragon’s Horde was a comic book store in a small town in Georgia. Lainey managed to get the last bit of standing space in the store. She was wedged in between a display of anime novels and a large cardboard Captain America. Lainey used her S A T prep book as a barrier between her and the thong of cosplayers and super nerds in the store,it was Superhero Saturday and the shop was packed with every die- hard fan within fifty miles. With little to do in the small town the Horde’s monthly meetings were as big a deal as San Diego's Comic Con.  Lainey thought Maggie really owed her. Maggie was her best friend. Lainey tried to tune out the noise as she needs to have fifty new vocabulary words memorized by the end of the night. Lainey decided she needed some fresh air as she tries to get to the exit a guy dressed as Thor said “ Now where are you going pretty lady?” Lainey tried to figure out an escape from this guy. Than she saw a tall guy wearing a dark gray t shirt and started to head his way. He looked about as thrilled as she did to be stuck here. Lainey yelled “ Babe, there you are” and  walked over to him and put her arm through his. Than the guy pulled away but only to put his arm around her and pulled her closer to his body. He said his friend had paid him twenty dollars to drive him here. Than he said “ down with some light reading?” Than Lainey said the test was in two days, she was graduating early and had to get at least a 2200 to get into her top schools . The science programs were pretty competitive. Than Lainey thanked him and told him she was Lainey and he said he wa Ty.Lainey went to leave as Maggie was going for coffee with Heath. As she started walking to her car she heard her name called. Yet she didn’t recognize anyone around her.  A tall figure of a woman walked out of the shadows of a building. She stood apart from the crowd. Than Looney noticed the woman’s green dress and green overcoat were stained with blood. Than Lainey stumbled back and when she looked again the woman was gone. Then she heard Lainey yelled and she went to get in her car and the woman was behind her and grabbed her with her icu hand and grabbed her above her elbow. As soon as their skin touched a wave if electric energy went through her body . The wave of energy intensified with each beat of her heart. Lainey passed out. Than Lainey came to by her car door and everything hurt. Lainey than had to work through a panic attack . Lainey called  Maggie and asked her to meet her and Maddie said of course and than Lainey decided there had to be a logical explanation as Lainey is very logical. The scientific method had never failed her before. Most of the pain had left her body. But right above her elbow is the very spot where the woman had grabbed her there was an angry red handprint. Lainey called Maggie and asked her to come meet her. Maggie suggested they use a spirit board- ouija board- and they could try to contact the woman. Than Maggie mentioned talking to Serena who Lainey thought was crazy. Serina who was her uncle’s girlfriend and Lainey had known Serina her whole life.Serena was a seer and psychic. She was like family. Lainey’s uncle Garrett took her in when Lainey’s parents died. It had been the two of them and Serena. Lainey  went to her room to study the last picture of her and her parents she was only a baby that had fallen from the book. Than Lainey noticed noticed the necklace her mother wore was the same one the woman wore that had grabbed her. Than Lainey saw the woman again. Lainey has flashbacks and nightmares about the lady covered in blood. Lainey is a powerful witch and her uncle has known all along. Lainey is Du Cermont. Now he finally tells her. Garrett isn’t her blood uncle. Lainey has magical powers but has no control over them. Ty is Lainey’s guardian and Lainey was his Calling which meant he stood beside her. . The Master is an evil being that had been killing generations of Lainey’s family to get a spell that was stolen from him and placed in the Grimoire.

I enjoyed this book. I loved how Lainey and Maggie’s  relationship. I also loved how Maggie stood close to Lainey no matter what. I did feel there weren’t answered by the end of this book. Lainey annoyed me at times. I hated how Ty betrayed Lainey. I chuckled at times while reading this. Especially with Maggie’s character. I did really enjoy the fast pace and plot. I loved the characters and the twists in this book and I recommend this.