BuckeyeAngel

BuckeyeAngel

not for me

— feeling confused
An Amish Courtship on Ice Mountain - Kelly Long

Martha was nineteen years old and Amish from a poor family. She took care of her ninety year old grandmother Ester and her aged and sick parents. The winter days were long in the cabin, Judah has been pursuing Martha since she was sixteen but Martha wants nothing to do with him as something about him makes Martha cold in her soul. Martha found she sometimes had to get out of the cabin tonight was one of the nights and she went to the creek to bath even though winter. Martha jumped  naked into the creek Unknown to Martha at first That Judah’s brother Joel was there. Joel couldn’t sleep and Judah was cruel and Joel slipped out of the house to get away from Judah and his anxious mother. Joel really missed his dad . . The moon called to Joel and he had headed to the creek and then he saw Martha naked in the creek. Joel had tried to walk away and fell and Martha had thought it was Judah until she got out and fell also and then realized it was Joel. Joel ended up carrying Martha home. Martha was upset and said it wasn’t right Joel had seen her but Joel told her “ it was dark”. Then Joel kisses Martha and it was her first kiss ever. After seeing Martha naked and then kissing her Joel knew he had to do the honorable thing and ask Martha to court with him. All Joel could think about was Martha and the same for her but Martha didn’t believe she was good enough for Joel. When Martha was on the way out to the barn to get the eggs from the hens Judah stepped out and grabbed her arm and he wouldn’t let go Martha knew she would have bruises. She reminded Judah she had told him that he was not to come around her home anymore. Judah claimed Martha had hexed him and would not lift the spell and Martha told Judah he was crazy he then slapped her in her face and Martha would have fallen if Judah didn’t have such a strong grip on her arm. Martha knew the dark bishop support Judah’s claim of Martha being a witch.  Judah was determined to marry Martha. Martha can’t believe how cruel Judah can be.

I didn’t really care for this book. Of all the Amish fiction I have never read of them going on about witches and dark bishops. Also Judah’s cruelty would have been noticed and stopped or he would have been shunned  as far as I have read. I did love Martha and Joel together. I didn’t feel this book was really realistic. The violence in this also surprised me and not especially in a good way. This definitely had a different slant to it. But this wasn’t for me. But I am sure someone will really enjoy this.