BuckeyeAngel

BuckeyeAngel

great story, great characters

A Place at Our Table (An Amish Homestead Novel) - Amy Clipston James/Jamie was an Amish volunteer firefighter as well as working on his father's dairy farm. After an hour of sleep the fire alarm went off again. The firefighters were being called to a barn fire. Jamie had met Leon nine years ago when they both had been training to be a volunteer firefighter. They were both sixteen and became fast friends. Then they met up again about a month ago when jamie was reassigned to station # 5. The firefighters got to the Dieners farm. Jamie went into the burning barn as the farmer’s fourteen year old son had went into the barn to try to get their horses out. A large wooden beam had fallen on Nathan but with Noah’s help they got nathan free and Jamie carried him out. Then Noah and Jamie went back in for the horses but Jamie lost his sense of direction but Noah found him and Jamie, Noah , and the horses got out okay. When Jamie mentioned to Nathan about training to become a volunteer fireman his older sister kayla got very upset and told jamie to stay away from Nathan. Jamie didn’t know that it was her brother Simeon who had lost his life as a volunteer firefighter about a year ago. Simeon had left behind a pregnant wife Eva at the time. Eva and Jr lived with Kayla’s family even now. Jamie tried to go up and apologize to Kayla but she didn’t really want to hear it. The whole family thanked Jamie for saving Nathan’s life and helping to get the horses out. Jamie didn’t know Kayla’s family owned the restaurant in town and Jamie didn't know it until he and his brother Mark stopped in one day when in town on errands. Kayla and Eva both waited tables in the family restaurant. Kayla’s mind wandered to thoughts of Jamie and she didn’t understand why. She found as she took Jamie and Mark’s order she was strangely affected by Jamie. And once again didn’t understand why this was true. Kayla had her heart broken by Abram. Who had taken her for granted and put his friends before her and then he broke up with her stating he wasn’t ready for a serious relationship. Jait thought about Kayla a lot also. I loved this book. I loved the plot and pace. I also loved how it showed even though the Amish have a strong faith they're still very human. They make mistakes and don’t always fall back on the faith as they are raised to. This book has a lot of faith in it and I loved the way it was depicted. I loved Jamie and Kayla together they both helped each other heal/ I felt Nathan added a lot to this book and I love dhis character. I also loved Eva's character and how she show true love is real even with the death of someone you love. I also loved how she chose to stay with her husband's family and was an important part of the family. I loved the closeness of the family’s that is rare today as far as I can see. I happily couldn’t find anything to criticize in this book. A new favorite of mine. I loved the ins and outs of this book as well as all the characters and I highly recommend.