BuckeyeAngel

BuckeyeAngel

Ready Set Rogue: A Studies in Scandal Novel - Manda Collins

The Marquess of Kerr Quill was having a very bad day. An axle had broken on his ancient family traveling carriage on the most deserted part of the drive from London.Also his favorite horse is back with the carriage with his baggage and valet. Quill had instructed his outriders to wait for help while he started out on foot for the coaching inn some three miles away. Then it started to pour. Finally the Marquess reached the inn The Fox and Peasant. Then Quill was finally noticed for who he was and passengers deferred to him but an auburn haired lady had blatant disregard for him and ended up dropping her her heavy trunk on her foot. One thing Quill couldn’t stand was a man who laid hands on a woman. A man had grabbed the woman and her trunk. Quill grabbed the woman away and then told the man that in the civilized world men treat women with decency and respect. The woman said she didn’t know how to thank him. Then Quill asked why she was still at the inn when the mail carriage had already left and she said the mail carriage had taken on more travelers and didn’t have room for her trunks. She also said the trunks were necessary for her studies. She said she was an independent scholar and said her name was Miss Aphrodite Wareham. Ivy to her friends. Then Quill said he might have known they would meet on the road to Beauchamp House. The family estate that her and her cohorts wish to steal out from under Quill’s family’s nose. Quill also said his family would not stand for this scheme they had concocted. Ivy admitted she had never met Lady Celeste but but she would have liked to so she could thank her for her generous bequest. Ivy had spent most of her life caring for her siblings. Her father had been the son of the Duke of Ware, his unsupported marriage had cut off any financial assistance he would have expected. Ivy was more than ready to to strike out on her own scholarly path- and to establish herself in her own right. There are four ladies who have inherited Lady Celeste’s estate. Then Quill finds out Lady Celeste’s death is not quite as straightforward as it had seemed and Quill needed Ivy’s help to solve the mystery behind her death. Then Ivy finds a letter from Lady Celeste that she believed she was being poisoned and wanted Ivy and Quill to solve the mystery. Then Quill and Ivy kiss and more and Quill can’t believe he did that when he had known Ivy less than twenty four hours. I had mixed feelings on this story there was things I liked and things I didn’t like. There was no heavy drama and was an easy read and I liked that. I didn’t really believe Quill and Ivy as a couple and in love I just didn’t connect with that. Also this was fairly predictable at times at least for me. This is fast paced and I did like the characters. So as you can see there was things I liked and then things I didn’t.