BuckeyeAngel

BuckeyeAngel

Good Story and Characters

Mystic - Jason Denzel

It was the Springrise Festival Pomella got in another fight with her father. He shouted at her that she not a noble and should cut her hair. Pomella grabbed a wicker basket and headed toward the forest where she found comfort in it’s silence. Bethany was Pomella’s friend. But Pomella had feelings for Bethany’s older brother Sim and he felt something for her. Sim probably knew Pomella better than anyone. During the celebration of the festival the Green Man appears, it has been fifty years since he last appeared. The Green Man had a message from Kelt Apar inviting Pomella to participate in a competition to become an apprentice to the High Mystic. There were three tests she had to complete. But never before has a commoner been picked. It goes against the law and tradition. Pomella decides to accept anyway. But if she fails to win she will become unclaimed- nameless, homeless, and declared anathema. She was up against three other candidates. Men and women who have a connection to the Myst and have the potential to become mystics.

I liked this story. It’s not normally the type of story I would read but decided to give it a try and was glad I did. This story did keep me interested .I liked that the High Mystic broke with tradition and picked a commoner to compete and not just the nobility. I also liked that Pomella was brave enough to accept the challenge of the three tests with all she could lose and going up against three others. I liked the characters in the story a lot especially Pomella and all the twists and turns she went through. I recommend.

I received an ARC of this story for an honest review.